Unified School District 218 takes the health and safety of our students and staff very seriously. With the spread of the coronavirus or “COVID-19,” we all must remain vigilant to help mitigate the spread. In order to be safe and maintain operations, we have developed this plan to be implemented throughout the District. We will monitor available information from the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”), Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE), Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), and the Morton County Health Department.
Part I: Health and Safety of Students and Staff
- Masks will not be required, but will remain optional for students & staff who would prefer to wear them. For those that choose this option, per CDC guidelines, masks are to be worn correctly and should completely cover both the nose and the mouth.
- Schools will continue to allow for social distancing large groups (lunch, classrooms, etc.) as needed and recommended by state and local county health officials. Ozone Air purifiers are available in every classroom.
- Schools will continue to recommend and encourage consistent handwashing and/or sanitizing practices along with the “Cover your Cough” protocol.
- Schools will maintain a regular cleaning schedule that will include the cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting of surfaces and facilities. Electrostatic disinfecting will continue to be utilized in all buildings and classroom windows can be opened for additional ventilation.
- Schools will continue to work with the school nurse and Morton County health officials to handle any contact tracing, isolation and quarantine issues. Decisions will be made in conjunction with current state and local guidelines.
- Schools will continue to temperature screen staff and students by using temperature Kiosk and handheld laser thermometers. Anyone who registers a temperature outside of the “normal” range will be isolated and referred to the school nurse.
- Schools will continue to work with local county health officials regarding vaccination of school staff. USD 218 will encourage vaccination and will provide information from state and local county health officials regarding vaccination.
- Schools will continue and maintain appropriate accommodations for students with disabilities based on student’s specific health concerns. Special education services will be provided consistent with each student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- USD 218 will continue to monitor county and local infection numbers as they are provided by health officials. Communication and decisions will be a collaborative effort.
Part II: Continuity of Services
- In the event that a student cannot attend classes in-person, due to infection or illness, teachers will provide school work via Google classroom, Class DoJo or paper packets. Teachers will make themselves available to assist students and answer questions by giving the student and parent(s) contact information, as well as specified times they are available. USD 218 assures students in quarantine (Remote Learners) will have at least one meaningful daily connection with their teacher. For technology assistance, parents and students can contact our IT Department at Ithelp@usd218.org.
- USD 218 employs two full time school counselors and has access to a school psychologist through the High Plains Education Cooperative. The district also maintains a strong working relationship with Compass Behavioral Health on specific counseling needs. These individuals are available to assist students, teachers and families as needed. The district utilizes SAEBRS & MySAEBRS to screen and monitor the social-emotional health of our students.
- The district employs a full time nurse who is available daily to assist students with health needs or concerns. Students not able to attend in-person will be provided meals that can be picked-up at the Elementary School’s circle drive.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this plan to return, please contact our superintendent at the information below.
Mr. Rex Richardson, Superintendent
USD 218 District Office….……….……..620-697-2195
Point Rock Alternative High School…..…620-697-1253
Kansas Connections Academy….………..620-607-1199